|Complex 5/6 blockhouse|
The Complex 5/6 blockhouse contains many interesting artifacts from the Mercury program. This blockhouse is northwest of the Complex 5 launch pad. It was from this blockhouse that the launch of Freedom 7 was controlled.
The sign to the left of the entry reads as follows:
LAUNCH COMPLEX 5/6
CONSTRUCTED BY U.S. ARMY FOR REDSTONE BALLISTIC
MISSILE PROGRAM, MARCH, 1955.
The First U.S. Astronaut, Alan Shepard launched on Sub-
Orbital Flight Aboard Mercury-Redstone, 5 May 1961, by Launch
Operations Directorate, Marshall Space Flight Center, National
Aeronautics & Space Admin. In all, there were 65 Launches from
the 2 Pads on this Complex. 38 Redstones, 7 Jupiter C's, 10
Jupiters, 4 Juno II's & 6 Mercury-Redstones. Additionally,
there were 4 Troop Firings of the Redstone.
The Government Launch Organization which conducted
these firings became part of John F. Kennedy Space Center,
National Aeronautics & Space Administration, July 1, 1960.
|See the Complex 6 launch pad||Go back to the Complex 5 launch Pad|
|Tour home||CCAFS map||Website map|