||Complex 9 launch pad
This is the Complex 9 launch pad. Complex 9 was used between 1956 and 1958 to
launch Navaho G-26 missiles (the Navaho X-10, a test vehicle that predated the
G-26, was launched from the Skid Strip). Complex 9 launched its first Navaho on
November 6, 1956. A total of 11 Navaho G-26 missiles were launched from Complex
9. Six launches were successful, and five failed.
The Navaho missile would stand in the center of the launch structure, above the blast deflector. On the
other side of the structure was the erector tower (long since gone), a large tower that was used to erect
and service the missile prior to launch.
After the final launch on November 18, 1956, Complex 9 (along with nearby
Complex 10) was dismantled to make room for Complexes 31 and 32.
Photo courtesy of Steve Sanders|
Mission Flight Control Officer, CCAFS