This is a view of all that remains of "ICBM Row." ICBM Row (or "Missile Row") was the name given to a series of launch Complexes (11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, and 20) that launched America's missiles and rockets in the 1950's and 60's. During that time, the scene in the picture above would have been quite different: it would have been crowded with gantries. Since that time, most of the Complexes have been deactivated, their gantries dismantled and sold for scrap.
The vantage point for this photo was above Complex 46. We can see a row of blockhouses stretching toward the north, and the only gantry left in ICBM row: the red gantry standing at the deactivated Complex 13. The two blue gantries to its south are at Complex 36 (ICBM Row's southernmost Complex was Complex 11 - immediately north of 36). The two structures in the distance (toward the right) are at Complexes 40 and 41, where unmanned missions are launched from today.
Barely visible in the distance (in
line with the blockhouses) is Complex 39, pad A at Kennedy Space Center. To its
left is pad B. These pads are used to launch the Space Shuttle.
|Photo Copyright © 1999
Joe Marino/Aerospace Reports Photographic Services.
Joe is a staff photographer for the National Space Society.
|Tour home||CCAFS map||Website map|